THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 28, 2007

Allcare Dental <--- (this is so people who search Allcare will end up at my site)


Why am I always too late
to stop a swindler?


I sincerely wish that Jon and I had not patronized this business.
We went for routine cleanings,
and left with reason to contact the Better Business Bureau.

I know someday I will laugh at this,
but not today.

Okay, I did laugh a little when I reflected on one part of the experience that I cannot put into words. Okay, two parts.


Follow-Up:
For all of you interested in the details of our dental visit, I think you will find Jon's description telling and entertaining.....It is missing some key parts, like when the xray nurse did a little trail with her finger to Jon's heart indicating that if he didn't get xrays, (in a child-like voice) "it would go straight to his heart" AND when the consultation guy asked me if we had kids and then said how great they are and threw his arms up imitating young children saying "Mommy! Daddy!" Yes, I know this is hard to believe, but it happened! Maybe he was abusing the laughing gas??

Attached: Jon's Reflection/ Therapy

I also went to AllCare Drill and Fill earlier today! They saw both my wife and I and gave us a truly memorable trip to the dentist...memorable in the most negative sense of the word, as in nightmare inducing bad. 

We only went for a teeth cleaning but instead were treated to a more “thorough” plan of action since they vehemently insisted upon doing what they called a “dental examination" before hand. At first glance this seemed quite reasonable and was if anything an opportunity for my wife and I to brag about how uber-healthy our teeth are. Thus we agreed to the exam before our cleaning. 

Upon doing x-rays they quickly claimed that I had a cavity which was in serious need of drilling and used scare tactics in order to convince me of it: 1) I could die from infection 2) I would have to pay thousands of dollars later for what would only cost hundreds now (assuming I’m not already dead that is). 

Never-mind the fact that I had no pain, no sensitivity, etc, to indicate such a thing was actually true or as dire as they said, they remained highly insistent.

The real problem with this is that only 6 months prior my parent’s dentist back in my hometown (one of the few who have been honest with me) warned me about a SUPERFICIAL sign of decay on the exact tooth (and spot) they identified...saying that as long as I continued to care for my teeth (as I do) it could last many years before requiring work and that it would actually be better off left alone. 

Well I explained this to AllCare and they were insistent regardless claiming that to do nothing would mean the loss of my tooth or WORSE in the near future (like an exploding heart?)....this of course was all said to me after an extraordinarily cursory examination in which they failed to do a number of routine checks any good dentist should do. 

I reluctantly gave temporary assent to there assessment of the situation so as to prevent myself from accusing them of lying straight to their faces...a thing which I felt was prudent since I am not myself a dentist and because there remained the slight possibility that they were correct. (I made up my mind to get a second opinion because pretty much everything about this place told me that this was not going to be my dentist in the future.)

So from this point we went to see there “consultation” guy...a thuggish looking man in a small office adorned with models of teeth and dental procedures that I am sure he did not understand in the slightest. He also quickly engaged me with more scare tactics and unnecessary pressure, telling me that I should thank the dentist anytime he finds a cavity because of what it means for my health and my wallet (I would be allowed to live and for thousands less than if I waited!). Thanks!

Experience and common sense instead told me that this guy was full of it, as my wife and I both have been boldly lied to with regards to the need for drilling/filling numerous times in the past...usually forcing us to find a second opinion and a dentist we can trust (we move a lot).

We told him we would be getting a second opinion and of course he seemed bothered and then we told him that we would be canceling the teeth cleanings, which he was charging us $100 for (about $40 above what most dentists charge). We also added that would only be paying the $60.00 of examination fees, which we both knew were a rip-off considering how ridiculously short and halfhearted our exams were (we’re talking a matter of a few minutes a best and they completely failed to engage us in dialogue concerning our dental history, such as my large pirate-like gold inlays that they never even bothered to ask about!). This again visibly disturbed him, since he wasn’t making a sale that day, so he then proceeded to haggle as if we were in a cheap market stall somewhere in Mexico bargaining over curios. “For today only” he would reduce the price of cleanings to $70.00 from $100.00....we were not amused. He never seemed to grasp why this turn of events would be so disconcerting to us. 

To top this whole scenario off, he refused to give us my x-rays so that I might get a second opinion...at least not right away, they would need a week to be able to do so he claimed. This is also bogus because anytime in the past we have been able to procure them on request on the same day....but they were busy after-all so time will tell whether or not he will ever remain true to his word. Under no circumstances would I EVER go back to this place or to any one of their dozens of locations which are springing up all over the U.S. like some kind east-asian bird flu. They feed off of people’s ignorance and offer horrible customer service which borders on the criminal side of things. Avoid at all costs.       

12 comments:

Confessions of a Steubie Wife said...

oh and while we were sitting by the "consultation office" in view of the receptionist, I kept trying to whisper to Jon: pssst thug ...yeah, we knew what we were in for, but it exceeded our expectations

Anonymous said...

I found your page by googling Allcare after my horrible visit yesterday. My husband and I had an experience very similar to yours. I've had a few cavities over the years but my teeth are overall in good shape. Yesterday at Allcare the dentist told me I would need 14 cavities filled and a root canal. He then proceeded to tell us that our family dentist we used before we moved was lying to us because "x-rays don't lie." Needless to say, we'll be getting a second opinion. When I get over the shock I think it will make a pretty funny story though!

Confessions of a Steubie Wife said...

I'm sorry to hear you had a similar experience...just thought I would update the last post...we did seek out a better dentist in a rich area (more competition hopefully means better dentists) and were both told our teeth were fine--no cavities. We picked up the xrays from AllCare and brought them to our new dentist and it didn't change his opinion. So, all's well that ends well..and we learned to be more circumspect from now on. At least we only got fooled out of less than a hundred dollars for two pseudo-exams and that's it.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had read this before i let them convince me I needed to have all of my upper teeth removed.
After the procedure and all papoer work is signed with a total of over $4000.00 - I have detures that don't fit a partial for the bottom that had to many teeth that i am unable to use. BEWARE OF THEIR MOTIVE IT = $$$$

Anonymous said...

you didn't mention the blood pressure gadget they use when you first go it it makes them seem high tech/cutting edge but after the initial consultation you'll never see it again even if they are doing surgical level procedures. They are part of a "new business in the service industry they have similar competitors like aspen dental.. they operate similarly. full xrays then a treatment plan. they are not the place to go if you have perfect teeth they are a good option if you have bad teeth but only if you trust who's there if you get a bad feeling about them then leave and go somewhere else even if you have to travel an hour or 2 to do it.

I was quoted $11,000 by aspen dental

$6000 by all care for the same procedures and same "treatment plan" if you fill out the credit info I think their treatment plans match what credit was extended to you.

a place that deals only in immidiate payment bbut they help you with insurance billing charged $2000 for the same procedure so shop around. they aren't nessasarily lying about what you need done although it seems that was definitly what happened in your case. if you look on their website the job desription of the office manager is very telling.

Anonymous said...

I AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH ALLCARE AND ASPEN DENTAL. I WOULD ADVISE STEERING CLEAR OF CORPORATE DENTAL PRACTICES SUCH AS THESE. THE PRIMARY INTEREST OF ALLCARE IS FINANCIAL NOT PATIENT CARE.

I would advise going to a a general dentist who owns their own practice or is in a private practice group. You can usually spot corporate dental offices because they look like Binions Optical....cheap decor that makes you feel as if you are in a supercuts.

Allcare uses a third party finance company..like Capitol One..to pay for your overpriced dental work up front. The quality of the work is also very poor. They use an in-house lab in order to keep all revenue. They use the absolute cheapest approach in all aspects of rendered dental treatment.
You are usually preassured into a buy it now ageement by a sales manager...very similar to a 24 hour fitness type of scheme. Once the line of credit is approved and paid out to Allcare you will have a hard time getting a refund. Keep in mind this line a credit is similar to what you would get when applying for a dept. store credit card...horrible interest rates etc.

The funny thing about Allcare is that the guy who started it used to work for Aspen dental. He actually stole their business model and opened up Allcare. So the two are competitors and bitter rivals. They are also both an embarrasement to the dental community. They are currently suffering financial hardships and are advertising in an attempt to sell off their individual practices to general dentists willing to pay them for use of their name (franchise). Kind of idiotic since their name comes with one of the poorest reputations in the dental community. Anyway steer clear of these guys and good job on the blog.

S

Anonymous said...

Here is a short list of corporate dental practices to avoid:
Allcare Dental and Dentures
Aspen Dental
Heartland Dental
Kool Smiles
Small Smiles
Ocean Dental
Perfect teeth
Gentle Dental
Gentle Dentist

Generally any type of practice with

Anonymous said...

I have been a patient with Allcare dental for about 4 years now. I took very good care of my teeth, but of course after having a child, my teeth were not a priority. The dentist I saw at allcare was as professional as she should be and never misled me in anyway. Being a single mom, I really didn't have the money to take care of my teeth, so I was extremely happy that they helped me get financed to take care of my teeth. I dont understand what is so bad about that. Most of us cant buy or do anything without getting financed, so why wouldn't you want to take care of your health!!...At least they try to help you as to where alot of other dentists won't even see you without paying up front. I really like allcare and would highly recommend going there.

Absolutely Sweet Maria said...

I had a bad experience w/ Allcare a few years ago and never reported it, I feel now I should even though it's moot. They did the 20 xray series, dentist claimed I had 3 cavities, thug in office tried to strong arm me into taking care of them, even kindly offering me their credit card so I could afford it. I said no way, guy hostilly asked why did I come in if I didn't want to take care of my teeth, I said I just wanted a cleaning. I went to another dentist and 2 years later still have not had a cavity. He said their xrays at Allcare were so badly done they couldn't have seen anything on them if I had had any cavities!

Anonymous said...

I believe that most of the dentist taking care of their patients. But some dentist have deficiency the way they treat their patients. That's is why some patient give their feedbacks like here Aspen Dental

Anonymous said...

I wanted to warn people to be sure if you do go to Allcare and have a participating dental insurance check the cost as they are overcharging. They are to charge only the negotiated amount but charge their full cost, not even insurance company can get me my money back and lawyer said I should eat the 4,000.00 they overcharged me. Should have done more research.

Mexico Dentists said...

wow nice information!!! i am very happy when did i see your blog.Really it's very nice information. I like your site!! I invite you to take a tour on my dayodental website for more details at Dentist In Mexico