THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

First Baby Classes...


Jon and I have been very busy this week. We attended a breastfeeding class on Tuesday night and a childbirth class last night. Both were helpful, but the childbirth class really provided the most new information. It helped that the teacher was very engaging, funny, and supportive.

What I learned most is that childbirth is really cooperating with what the baby is doing. I have seen too many movies where as soon as the water breaks it's go-go-go/push-push-push as if everything were in your own hands...when really it's relax-relax-relax as much as possible and cope-cope-cope to help the baby make his/her way out...and THEN you PUSH ;) Instead of me doing all of this work, it's really Jon, the baby, and I working as a family team!

I am also thankful that Jon and I got to learn some strategies that will work for us as we go through labor together...my favorite of which is massage (which Jon is great at)...and also Jon's verbal reassurance that I am helping our baby in his/her passage (all of the different labor positions also appeal to me since I won't have to be stationary). It's when I think about me that I lose fervor, but when I think about the baby and offering up all of my suffering and effort that I feel the most focused. I hope that this all carries over into childbirth. :) We have about 4 more weeks of classes which should help reinforce everything as we go. It's not easy for us to take classes since they are an hour away and last 3 hours late into the evening (when we're both TIRED and HUNGRY--caps are appropriate here since I am pregnant and Jon is married to a pregnant girl), but it has helped us prepare for our first baby so it's worth it. Plus, it's the only time we watch anything that is "graphic" haha....it's either PG or graphic pregnancy videos I guess..lol!

0 comments: