THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 15, 2007

That's me with the one eyeball...


So, I have a small itty bitty fear that sometimes rules my life: I resist getting my blood drawn. No problem with needles at all--I'll take a shot anyday, a hundred if you please--but please no blood!
Anyway, so last time I went to get my blood drawn two months ago, I decided to go by myself so I could "conquer" this fear. The nurse took blood out and then discovered that she used the wrong tube, so oops! I got two bandaids that visit, one in each arm, you could imagine my face afterwards, a smile upside down, just looked like a 5 year old whose Lego castle was hit down by a bully.

Now, speed up to today, I went with Jon since we were heading out together anyway and was a little nervous, although getting better at this whole blood thing. I went in and sat down, put my arm out and the same nurse puts the needle in and then in shock starts panicking: "%)*&^$!..Oh where's the blood?! Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh *#%$@!"

OKAY--now imagine MY REACTION to THIS! "What? NO BLOOD?!" So, then she takes the needle out and decides to go in my other vein in my right arm. At this point I am worried but nothing like that can happen twice, right?? (btw, a nurse cursing that there is no blood while trying to take out blood is a veritable nightmare for someone already disposed to faint by a less traumatic experience) So, she puts the needle in, and again, nothing. So in the second panic of the day she calls for the other nurse to come look, meanwhile I am turning ghastly white (wondering if indeed I am a ghost who has no blood, or any other possible explanation for how I have been living without blood in my veins) and then the other nurse comes and tells her that she went too far, evidently past the vein in some way. So I get jabbed now a third time by the new nurse, and alas, I do have blood in my veins after all.
So, the end of story is this, poor pitiful me, oh feel bad for me, it ain't easy getting over your fears when they are accompanied by "%*@$*&#!!"
My worst nightmare about getting my blood drawn CAME TRUE.

1 comments:

JK Soren said...

I was there to witness this event so I think I have some credibility when I say that this account is completely true. But there is one detail missing...while the nurse still had the needle sticking into Lauren's arm, just after cussing when she discovered that Lauren didn't have any blood, she began to earnestly and apologetically question Lauren while at once continuing to manipulate the needle within Lauren's arm, presumably to find that ever elusive blood:"Am I hurting you?! Oh I am so sorry...I have to be hurting you! Does it hurt? Oh it must hurt, I'm so sorry!"