THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

9 Weeks


Jon and I went for our second appointment today and were able to hear the baby's heartbeat! Sometimes it can be hard to hear it, but since I am "skinny" and the baby wasn't hiding out or turning his back on us (what a good baby, huh?) we could :) I put skinny in quotations because I have already gained 7 lbs, of course, some of that could have been water weight or breakfast, right??? I speak so freely about the weight gain because I am fascinated by it. I started at 125 and just seeing the scale go up is so WEIRD. Typically during the first trimester, a woman gains around 3-5 lbs (at least this is what I have been told), and I sill have 3 weeks to go before the second trimester. I think I needed the extra fat...haha
Anyway, here is a nice summary of the baby's development that I stole from pregnancy.org:
  • Baby has begun movement - While still too small for you to feel, your little one is wriggling, shifting, and dancing already! Makes you almost wish for a window to peek in whenever you want!
  • Most joints are formed now - and trust that your little one is practicing bending and flexing.
  • Fetus will curve its fingers around an object placed in the palm of its hand - This is amazing to see! At only nine weeks, if you happen to have an ultrasound, you may observe your infant fascinated by everything he or she can lay their fingers on (mainly other fingers, toes, ears and nose!
  • Fingerprints are already evident in the skin
  • Average size this week -- length 0.9 inch (2.3cm), weight 0.07 ounce (2gm)
We also decided that unless we need an ultrasound done because of a complication that arises, we are going to wait until the birth to know the baby's gender. Jon is 99% sure that he wants to know at 20 weeks, but he reserved 1% for me..hahaha but after discussing it with our midwife, it sounds like the 20 week sonogram is just to observe the baby's anatomy and that even if something were abnormal, there is nothing that could be done to help the baby. So without a clear benefit to the sonogram, it looks like Jon is going to have to wait 4 extra months and cope with his wife always asking him, "So, do you think it's a boy or a girl?" I think I have asked that question beyond asking at this point..;) 

I will also report in this post that I have experienced heartburn and indigestion...which I honestly can't remember the last time I have had these problems (and I don't recall ever having heartburn before). It's uncomfortable for now and just strengthens my desire to keep up the healthy eating habits Jon and I typically have (anomalous pregnancy cravings not included!)

1 comments:

Jenny said...

Lauren, if you persist in putting "skinny" in quotations, I'm going to have to punch you, pregnant or not. You're in AMAZING shape, that's why you're going to have such a healthy baby!
:)